Thursday, May 31, 2007

Scalp


Another mounatin race last night. It was on Scalp, a viscous b*stard of a place altogether. It was raining yesterday and though it stopped raining for the race itself, the conditions were very tricky. Occasionally the tracks were very slippy and mucky. I'm bad at steep downhills the best of times, but steep mucky downhills really really slow me down. 5 people passed me on the last steep downhill. Disgusted. I managed to catch 3 of them before the finish but am determined to do some work on it. The problem is that when you look down in the cold, your eyes fill with water and blur your vision, making it hard to judge footing. And if you wipe them you either get dirt or sweat in there to add to the problem! I'm always well impressed with the lads who take massive confident hops down the steepest hills. It's amazing to watch.

I came 132 out of 163, with 172% of the winning time. I did this race last year aswell and i got 183% of the winning time, so i'm well pleased with the improvement. In the league i'm 121 out of 401, yeehaw.

This is another photo taken from the race. I think it looks like something out of Jurassic Park. The path that they are running on is almost completely overgrown with gorse, and it's really easy to trip over consealed rocks. It adds to the adventure.

No comments: